Recipe courtesy of one of our Grow / Source / Eat veggie packer, Alisha.
This is a very tasty recipe that’s nicer the next day. The scrambled tofu is also great on its own with toast, salad or as a taco filling. Enjoy!
Note: Suitable for Vegetarians/Vegans/GF
Cooking Time: (Including preparation) 1.5Hr
Stuffed Capsicums with Scrambled Tofu and Rice
- Olive oil
- 1 cup cooked brown/white Rice
- Handful of parsley
- 1-2 capsicums
- 1 Block of Firm tofu
- Grated mozzarella/tasty cheese/parmesan (optional)
- Dollop yoghurt to serve
- ½ lemon sliced in wedge
Tofu Spice Blend:
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Juice of ½ lemon, plus grated zest
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Step one, cook the rice
- While the rice is cooking, mix the spice blend in a bowl with lemon juice and water
- Next, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat in a pan
- Scramble and squish tofu with your fingers directly into the pan- until it resembles feta cheese
- Turn up heat to high to slightly char tofu and fry until evenly cooked, pressing down on tofu with spatula and squishing out water
- Once tofu is cooked/charred add spice blend to the pan
- Let the tofu absorb spice blend and turn down heat to medium-low, adding more water if necessary
- Now prepare the capsicums. Cut in half horizontally, leaving more space at the bottom to fill with rice and tofu. Carefully take out capsicum seeds/membrane, -but don’t worry too much if it falls apart- It will still taste good!
- If you have time place capsicums in grill for 5minutes. If not, continue to next step
- Oil capsicums and place on baking tray
- Mix scrambled tofu, parsley and rice together
- Scoop into capsicums (add cheese if desired) and put capsicum lids on top
- Bake at 250 degrees for 30mins (or until capsicums are slightly browned/charred)
- Serve with salad, yoghurt, lemon wedges and remaining rice mixture and enjoy!
Show us what’s cooking in your kitchen @melb_food_hub.