Work With Us
Melbourne Food Hub is looking for an experienced or aspiring farmer/market gardener(s) who is keen to run the Melbourne Food Hub urban farm as their own small business or social enterprise. You will have access to a pre-established growing area featuring water-efficient wicking beds and an undercover space for running workshops and educational programs, rent free for the first year.
Melbourne Food Hub will act as a guaranteed sales outlet for the majority of the produce, distributing it in weekly produce boxes direct to customers, minimising the need for packing, sales and marketing.
You will be a part of a blossoming community of food system advocates, with mushroom farms, microgreens, aquaponics, bee hives, a community compost hub, community kitchen and a weekly farmers market also taking place on site.
The Melbourne Food Hub urban farm is a 600sqm space located next to the Alphington Farmers Market site featuring:
– 16 in-ground wicking bed rows (8m x 0.4m ea)
– 12 raised wicking beds (2.4m x 1.2 ea)
– Semi dwarf fruit trees, berries and perennial herbs in planter boxes
– An outdoor ‘Climate Smart Food’ classroom with educational teaching resources
– A shed and storage space
– Large compost bays
– Ideally have experience running a market garden or other farming/gardening enterprise
– Can confidently produce a variety of crops year-round for sale to MFH and other outlets of your choice
– Are community minded and collaborative
– Have experience managing volunteers and feel comfortable hosting corporate volunteers, student groups and other community members on the farm
– Have experience running your own small business or feel up to the challenge!
The successful applicant must be ready to start getting involved by late March, to ensure a smooth handover with our existing Urban Agriculture Facilitator who will be departing in mid-April.
If this sounds like you, please send us a spiel about who you are and why you think you’d be the best person for the job, along with a CV and we’ll be in touch shortly!
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Audrey at firstname.lastname@example.org.