- 30 grams pine nuts
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled
- 70 grams basil leaves
- 60 grams finely grated parmesan / Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 30 grams finely grated pecorino, preferably pecorino sardo
- Sea salt
- 80 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind the pine nuts into a fine paste–you shouldn’t be able to see and pieces left! Add the garlic, and pound until smooth.
- If your basil leaves are big, cut them down to smaller sizes with a knife. Then, add basil to the pine nuts together with a pinch of salt, which will help to break down the leaves. Continue until the basil has broken down completely and you’re left with a thick green paste. Stir in parmesan, pecorino and oil. Add salt to taste.
- Immerse any leftover pesto in olive oil to keep it fresh. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.