Summer is here and Christmas is just around the corner. Here’s a really simple, festive and delicious recipe for using the best of the season!
Check the video to watch George make it or read the recipe below.
- 3-4 medium tomatoes
- Handful of pistachios
- 4-6 leaves of saltbush
- ¼ small red onion
- 50g fetta cheese
- 2 handfuls of cherries
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 1-3 teaspoon of icing sugar
- Olive oil
- Slice tomatoes into rounds and lay on platter.
- Break cherries over the top of tomatoes, being careful to remove the pit. Scatter over the top.
- Finely slice the red onion into half moons and scatter over the top.
- Roughly chop or pound pistachios with dried saltbush. Scatter over the top leaving a little for the final garnish.
- Crumble fetta over the top.
- Add fennel seeds to a pan with icing sugar and put over low heat, stirring occasionally. When the sugar starts to melt (2 minutes or so), stir to coat the seeds and allow to cook for another 3 or so minutes, or until golden.
- Turn seeds onto baking paper or chopping board and allow to cool for 1-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the top of the salad, add the remaining pistachio mix and drizzle with olive oil to serve!
- Slowly whisk in the ½ cup of milk, and continue to cook until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon (approx. 5 minutes).